|My ferry arrives in Santander|
June 12: I'm leaving Santander on the ferry at 9 o'clock tonight, bound for Plymouth. After a few days in England, I'll be flying home to Florida.
So, time to wrap things up with a sabbatical summary:
Sabbatical/educational goals and research:
- I've strengthened existing international connections by completing a site visit at the International College of Seville.
- I've made new international connections by (a) volunteering at the local elementary school CP José Arce Bodega (in Santander) and (b) observing/assisting in adult education classes taught by Juncal Garcia, Professor of English and Legal English at the University of Cantabria.
- Through the above connections, I have learned about education in Spain, and I have contacts who are interested in (a) receiving international interns as classroom conversation assistants, and (b) faculty international exchange program. In addition, I can provide contacts for any Valencia faculty who are interested in arranging a study abroad opportunity here in Santander.
- Corin's exchange with the University of Cantabria has gone well and has provided information for two blog posts about the exchange experience.
- I've researched and written blog posts about life in Spain, international education, intercultural communication, language acquisition, psychology, and random other stuff (click on table of contents above for full list).
- I've published lesson materials and proverbs here on the blog (click on tabs above to see full lists).
- I've talked about Valencia and passed out promotional materials to adult learners of English, teenagers, parents, and educators in Spain, Italy, and the UK.
- I've learned about the history of life in Cantabria through documentary films shown at the library such as 'People of the Sea' and 'The Pas valley: Valleys of Silence. Film trailer here. Pictures here.
- I've visited museums in Bilbao, Madrid, Santander, and Florence.
Fun stuff in Santander/Cantabria:
- I've made lots of new friends in Santander
- Corin and I have attended four concerts at Santander's concert hall, Palacio de Festivales. We enjoyed performances by some of the best European orchestras (Italian, Spanish, and German) as well as Italian pianist Fabio Bidini and Spanish singer Ainhoa Arteta.
|with my cousin Isabella |
in Orta, Italy
What happens to the blog now? Since I'm no longer on sabbatical, I won't be writing any more on this blog. However, the lesson plans and proverbs have been moved to their own separate blogs, to be continued. Links here. Proverb blog and Lesson plan blog
|Corin and me hiking in the Picos de Europa|